Our History

The Early Years

Twelve years after the formation (1883) of the rugby side in Gorseinon, their application to become members of the Welsh Rugby Union in 1895 was successful. This coincided with the appointment of Sir John Llewellyn, Bart, M.P., as President of the W.R.U.

In those days they played on the Welfare Ground then called Kings Holme with Cricket and Soccer also being played there. After the World War, the club played under the name of St Catherine's Church down in the lower part of Gorseinon, at the rear of Whittington Terrace. The ground was called Pencefnarda and the changing rooms were at the back of the 'Institute'. Between 1918 and 1931 the ground was redeveloped by the owners of the local works Messrs. Lewis and sons, and the club started playing under the name of 'Grovesend Welfare'.

At the outbreak of the 1914-18 war the team was disbanded and although reforming in 1931 under the works name it was not until 1936 that they were re-admitted into the Welsh Rugby Union. In the early 1950's an application was made to change the name back to Gorseinon and it's original title.

The club's colours have always been cherry and white but Mr. Dick James who was a great stalwart of rugby and cricket in Gorseinon always argued that the first set of jerseys were claret and cream. They were donated by a local solicitor, Mr. Harold Williams. Dick James was a very colourful character captaining Gorseinon before the 'Great War' and his claim to fame was that he was a sparring partner to the great Jimmy Wilde. He was a life member of the club for many years and was active in committee work until his death in the 1960's.

|